Information and resources are available for those considering a career in accounting or pursuing the Prestigeous CPA credential.
Become a Student Member of TXCPA
and TXCPA Southeast Texas
Whether you’re looking to expand your CPA connections,
or you’re thinking beyond your first job, this network is for you!
The Southeast Texas Chapter of TXCPA (TXCPA SET) established a scholarship program whose purpose is to provide scholarship assistance to accounting students who plan to become Certified Public Accountants and enter the accounting profession. To be considered for a scholarship, a student must:
- Be a student member of TXCPA. Membership for students is free!
- Be a junior or senior accounting major/graduate/certificate student in accounting attending Lamar University for fall 2024, planning to become a Certified Public Accountant and entering the accounting profession upon graduation.
- Completed Intermediate Accounting I with a “B” or higher on the first attempt.
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA in Accounting courses.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (green-card holder).
- Community involvement
- Participation in Southeast Texas Chapter of TXCPA activities
Scholarship applications are now being accepted for the fall of 2024 semester. To apply for a scholarship, students must submit the following to Lauren Johnson via email by March 8, 2024:
- A typed, completed application.
- Unofficial cumulative college transcript(s) through the end of the fall 2023 semester, to include credit hours earned from all colleges and universities and cumulative GPA.
- A typed, one-page letter that describes yourself and why you want to become a CPA
Scholarships of $250 - $1,000 will be awarded at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee based on applicant’s qualifications. Checks will be made payable to the college/university for the benefit of the student and sent to the college/university in late December 2023 to be applied for the spring 2024 semester.
CLICK HERE to download the current scholarship application.
TXCPA SET and the Scholarship Committee reserve the right to refrain from awarding scholarships in the event applicants do not meet the desired qualifications. Students receiving awards are expected to participate in chapter activities/events when possible. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
TXCPA Resources for students
Texas State Board of Public Accountancy
The Texas State Board of Public Accountancy is the regulatory authority for the accounting profession in Texas. Access the statutes and regulations (rules) that govern the profession, see specifics on qualifying for the CPA exam in Texas, and review the requirements for maintaining a Texas CPA license.
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
A website run by the AICPA to give college students the wisdom and motivation to become CPAs.
A website run by the AICPA to answer questions and provide guidance to students considering the accounting profession as a career. Highly interactive, with games, videos and step-by-step guides for the path through college.