Annual Meeting of Members Summary
June 24-25, 2021
More than 300 members attended TXCPA’s virtual Annual Meeting of Members. The program, sponsored by Goodman Financial, featured valuable updates on TXCPA business, a presentation on the CPA pipeline and a conversation about CPA Evolution.
Your September/October digital issue of Today’s CPA will include a full summary of the meeting. Below are a few highlights.
The meeting began with presentation of the 2020-2021 awards, honoring contributions made by volunteers during the past year. Thank you to our awards presentation sponsor CPA Charge.
Honorees included the following:
- Meritorious Service to the Accounting Profession – Kym Anderson, CPA – El Paso
- Distinguished Public Service – Peggy Dean, CPA, CFP – Permian Basin
- Outstanding Committee Chairman – Jesse Dominguez, CPA, CGMA – Austin, CPA-PAC Committee; and Lisa Ong, CPA – Dallas, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Young CPAs of the Year – Kate Rhoden, CPA, CISA – Austin and Amy Taylor, CPA – East Texas
- Distinguished Members – Art Agulnek, CPA – Dallas and Phil Davis, CPA – Permian Basin
- The 19 members honored as 2020-2021 Rising Stars
- Our 50-year Fellow Honorees
- Outstanding Chapter Award Winners: TXCPA Southeast Texas and TXCPA Permian Basin
- 2021 B&I Award Winners – Mark Goldman, CPA, CGMA – San Antonio and Stephen King, CPA, CGMA - Houston
- 2020 Outstanding Accounting Educators – Mary Beth Goodrich, CPA – Dallas, University of Texas at Dallas; Dr. Richard Pitre, CPA – Houston, Texas Southern University; and Dr. Dennis Elam, CPA – San Antonio, Texas A&M University San Antonio
- Chairman’s Special Recognition Recipients: Sheila Enriquez, JD, CPA – Houston, Felicia Farrar, CPA – Houston, Willie Hornberger, JD, CPA – Dallas, Jana Kelly, CPA – Houston, Chase Murphy, CPA – Dallas, Stephen Parker, CPA – Houston, Ben Simiskey, CPA – Houston
Following the award presentation, the meeting was called to order by Immediate Past Chairman Jerry Spence, CPA-Corpus Christi, who shared a look at the 2020-2021 year and passed the gavel to Chairman Jason Freeman, JD, CPA-Dallas to begin the meeting.
The financial report and budget were presented by Treasurer Susan Roberts, CPA, CGMA-Fort Worth, and TXCPA CFO Edie Cogdell, CPA, CGMA-Dallas. View a copy of the May 2021 year-end financials. The board approved both the Society and CPE Foundation budgets for 2021-2022.
Attendees also received updates from the CPE Foundation, Peer Assistance Foundation, Accounting Education Foundation and TXCPA CPA-PAC.
Chairman Freeman ended the first day by sharing the outlook for the 2021-2022 year, including a detailed update on activities related to the TXCPA 2020-2024 Strategic Plan and priorities and the following measurable goals for 2021-2022.
- Add 1,000 new members.
- Reach at least 6,000 high school and college students with accounting career and TXCPA membership information.
- Expand digital learning opportunities by 20%.
- Begin a CPE pilot project with at least one chapter and continue dialogue regarding CPE business model.
- Continue the CPA Advantage campaign and achieve 2 million digital impressions.
- Increase total member participation to 5%, board participation to 100% and meet our fundraising goal of $217,000.
Day two began with an update on the CPA Pipeline from Michael Decker, AICPA’s Vice President of CPA Examination and Pipeline. Attendees heard about recent trends related to accounting enrollment, candidates sitting for the CPA exam and hiring of new accounting graduates.
Participants then heard valuable insights on the progress of the AICPA and NASBA CPA Evolution initiative. A panel, moderated by Anna Howard, CPA, AICPA’s Senior Manager of Academic Initiatives, featured discussion with Dan Dustin, CPA and Vice President of State Board Relations for NASBA, Carl Mayes, CPA and AICPA’s Associate Director of CPA Quality and Evolution, and TXCPA’s own Tracie Miller-Nobles, CPA – Austin, who serves on the national task force and is an educator at Austin Community College. You can learn more about the CPA Evolution project at www.evolutionofcpa.org.
TXCPA thanks our generous sponsors and engaged attendees for their participation in this Annual Meeting of Members! We look forward to seeing you in person in Irving for our Midyear Board of Directors and Members Meeting in January 2022.